Microgaming is a privately held company operating from Isle of Man. It developed the first online casino software way back in 1994. Today is supplies casino games to over 500 operators. Microgaming sets the benchmark in online casino software. It has the highest number of online casino games in its portfolio. It has paid more in progressive jackpot winnings than any other software provider. It has taken the lead in development of mobile gaming and live dealer casinos. Microgaming has been a leading advocate of fair gaming. Its software has been independently tested and approved by eCOGRA and IGC. Virtual reality gaming is the area Microgaming is now working on.
- Microgaming offers over 800 games in its desktop download platform and over 250 titles in its mobile gaming platform. These numbers are staggering when compared to its competitors.
- The range of casino games covered includes online slots, blackjack, roulette, baccarat, casino poker and video poker.
- Microgaming offers a number of live casino options of which the most popular is the branded live casino in which the dealers are dressed like Playboy Bunnies.
- There are a number of progressive jackpots in the portfolio of Microgaming including the Mega Moolah network, which creates a millionaire every time it is hit.
- Microgaming includes a number of tools in its games that are extremely useful such as the strategy card in its online blackjack variants, which ensure that players always make the correct moves.
- The dedicated Microgaming online casino operators do not offer games from other software providers and multi software operators have a small collection of Microgaming games.
- Some of the Microgaming online slots have similar themes as earlier titles or the same gaming features. Therefore the numbers are not a true indicator of diversity.
- The Microgaming portfolio is weak in some games categories compared to competitors like Playtech. These are arcade games, Asian games and scratch cards.
Microgaming online casino software for desktop users
Microgaming mostly offers dedicated software to many Dutch online casinos. These operators have only Microgaming games, but include the complete range of the games. The desktop software at these online casinos works on two platforms. The first is the Viper download platform, which has to be installed on the player’s computer. This software package includes over 800 titles. Unique to Microgaming operators are the regular online tournaments. Players can compete against each other across all Microgaming licensees for a share of the prize pool. The download software allows players to simultaneously open a number of games in different tabs. This is particularly useful because most Microgaming games can be put on Auto Play.
The other option for Dutch desktop casinos powered by Microgaming is the instant play or no download software. It offers two immediate advantages. It does not use storage on the player’s computer and it is compatible with both PC and Mac. The disadvantage is that the portfolio of games is smaller. The latest version of the no download software gives quicker and more convenient access to the games directly from the web sites of the online casinos. A dynamic search engine is provided to locate games in the shortest possible time. The instant play software is now based on HTML5.
Microgaming also offers Quickfire platform for desktop casinos. This platform is primarily meant for operators who offer Microgaming games along with games from other software providers. They can pick the games they want from the Quickfire platform and include them in their portfolios.
Microgaming casino software for mobile device users
Microgaming was a pioneer in mobile gaming as well. Since 2004 it has been releasing Java based games for mobile devices in partnership with Spin3. Today, Microgaming offers HTML5 based mobile games through a no download platform. Dutch players can access these games from the web sites of the mobile casinos. Microgaming also develops native apps for different mobile operating systems like Android, iOS and Windows systems. The casino games are the same for both. Since there is a vast range of smartphones and tablets in the market, Microgaming mobile casino games have adaptive designs that are compatible with different screen sizes and resolutions.
The Microgaming mobile portfolio has over 250 titles. An overwhelming number of them are slot machines. Today Microgaming releases new games simultaneously on desktop and mobile. At the same time it is steadily converting some of the best desktop video slots to the Mobile gaming format. The visual and audio quality of the mobile slots is the same as that of its desktop games.
Evaluation of Microgaming casino software
Microgaming offers a complete casino games portfolio. The online slots include video slots, classic slots and progressive slots. It also offers multi-players slots in which a number of players can share the payouts from the same game in innovative ways. The blackjack variants cover all the land casino variants and also games with exciting side bets that pay more. Single hand and multi-hand video poker variants are available as are casino poker games of different types. Microgaming has partnered with Playboy to offer a live casino in which the dealers dress as the infamous Bunnies.
The Microgaming desktop software is fully customisable. You can adjust the game speed, screen size and audio content to your liking. The PlayCheck and CashCheck facilities allow you to access your complete gaming and financial history. Microgaming also collates different types of statistical data to help players plan their gaming strategy. One of the key tools provided by Microgaming is the blackjack strategy card. Using it even novice blackjack players can make the optimum moves.
Some landmark Microgaming Online Slots
For Dutch players that like progressive jackpots the first choice is the Mega Moolah progressive jackpot network. The Mega Progressive tier pays upwards of €5 million per hot several times a year. There are some high profile branded video slots headed by Jurassic Park and Terminator 2. Aggressive players looking for high variance slot games can try Break da Bank Again and Bust the Bank. Many Dutch online casinos are powered by multiple software providers. In order to counter this challenge Microgaming has teamed up with Rabcat Gaming and others and offers their titles on its platforms. Dragon’s Myth and Legend of Olympus are popular Rabcat titles.